Friday, February 19, 2010

Let's talk Curling!

Somehow, the topic of Olympic curling came up during my class this morning, with a discussion ensuing about what a choke artist the US Skip is. It appears about half of my class was paying attention to curling.

Back in the 80's, when I lived in Buffalo, it was common for any party among my friends to include a game of bocce. So, in 2002 when NBC first started showing curling late at night, I recognized that it was really just "ice bocce" and got hooked. It's a game of strategy and skill, and I wish there was a curling rink near me.

I never expected that I would have a class full of people in their early 20's who were watching curling. But then, I never would have guessed that there would be WI Curling....that's right, one of the students said he has an Olympics game for the Wi that includes all the events. Wi curling, Wi figure skating. He didn't say, but I"m sure hoping they have Wi Biathlon.

Apparently, there is an Olympics on NBC that shows figure skating and snowboarding. I haven't seen it. There is hockey and curling on CNBC and MSNBC, and that's what I'm watching.

2 comments:

Kerry Lightenburger said...

You're just jealous of the pants the Norwegian curlers are sporting!

fiona said...

have you considered The Simpsons Effect? Marge and Homer were on the US Olympic team in a recent episode and I suspect that it did more to get folks interested in curling (which we all know is a great Scottish sport)