Saturday, February 27, 2010

HOCKEY!!

If you aren't watching tomorrow's US-Canada hockey match, you must either have something AWESOME to do, or something really important.

Every 4 years we are reminded of the "Miracle on Ice" in 1980. I was in grad school at the time, getting my MBA at the University of Michigan, where the hockey team still plays in the same building where I played intramural hockey.

Because it was a good excuse to drink, a lot of my fellow MBA students would come to our intramural games to cheer us on and, mostly, enjoy the keg they also brought. They were particularly happy when we beat up on the team from the law school! If you recall, the chant of "USA" for the Olympic team became prominent during the 1980 games. So, during and after the Olympics, our fans started chanting "MBA,MBA". We loved it. Beer is good.

As for tomorrow's game, here is my prediction.....okay, really my dream. Ryan Miller stands on his head again, and Chris Drury scores the game-winner late in the third for a 2-1 US win. Hell, and Olympic gold is the only thing Drury has never won, so he's due.

That's my hope, but Canada probably wins 4-2. Either way, it will be fun to watch. I almost wish I was back in Buffalo where I could watch on Canadian TV.

As for the rest of the Olympics, some comedian on TV said the sports are not so much sports as a series of drunken dares ("Dude, bet you can't slide down that sheet of ice on a tiny sled"). After hearing that, it occurred to me that, after curling and figure skating, hockey is the safest sport in the winter Olympics. Wow, the hockey players are the wimps!

No comments: