Saturday, January 12, 2008

Joe Jackson shills for Taco Bell?

I wasn't shocked when the Stones sold some songs for commercials. They've always been into money. Nothing wrong with that. I was a bit surprised a few years ago when I heard a Spinal Tap song (“Gimme Some Money”) used in a financial services ad on CNBC. I actually found that one amusing, what with Spinal Tap being a fake band.

But Joe Jackson for Taco Bell!!!!???? Come on ! Joe Jackson? And not a hit song, as if he ever had one (Stepping Out?). But “One More Time” off his very old album “Look Sharp” ( a great album by the way). I'm not pissed....everyone has a right to make some bucks from their creative talents....but JOE JACKSON? This is a guy who has always struck me as being happy to be a niche guy, happy to make good music, make a decent living, and never cared whether he had a hit. So now he let's Taco Bell use his song to sell cheesy stuffed gorditas! Weird!

If you haven't seen the add, go here

7 comments:

Budd Bailey said...

As a Joe Jackson fan, I am disappointed. As a YUM! stockholder, I am thrilled.

Eileen said...

I, too, was shocked when I first saw that Taco Bell ad. Joe Jackson was such a pr**k when I saw him in concert back in the late 80s/early 90s. (He got all pissy at the audience for singing along and compromising the quality of his performance.) I think it's pretty funny he sold out to a fast food chain. Oh, how the pompous have fallen...

erin said...

he probably needs the dough

Moe said...

I'm a big fan of Joe, and wonder if he had any say in the matter. Does he own the rights to the song? Can't wait to see him again. Surprised nothing on his website.

pliskers said...

Glenn, I just saw a comment about the Joe Jackson ad on Facebook from my friend Ed Miller in Denver. Went searching for info and your blog posting came up. WEIRDED ME OUT!

Plisky Baby

Anonymous said...

And we come full circle...

Ed miller

BradlyD said...

I think it is funny, too. I saw him in the states on the Big World tour and he was the biggest a-hole I'd ever seen. He showed so much contempt for us that, about 30 minutes in, we started flipping him off English-style. I have been a reluctant fan ever since.