Thursday, July 2, 2009

Even Orrin Hatch Makes More Sense than College Football

I live in a town where there is....well, used to be.....big time college football. And I have a lot of friends who think it is the greatest sport in the world, a belief that causes me to look at them as if they told me they just had sex with an alien. I was turned off college football back in the 70's, when the wishbone offense was boring people to death. And it's system to decide a "national champion" is, and has always been, complete and utter bullshit.

So it is with great surprise that I recommend anyone read something written by Sen. Orrin Hatch (Dinosaur, Utah). This is the supposedly moral Mormon who is responsible for scam artists being able to sell nutritional supplements to unsuspecting idiots without regulation ( my guess is he would defend the "magic elixer" lobby if they were from Utah and gave him money!).

But Hatch is part of a group of senators who think that the BCS System is crooked and unfair, and an illegal exercise of monopoly power, a stand I have been taking for many years. He and his committee are planning to hold hearings on it. He writes about why in this weeks Sports Illustrated.

Generally speaking, I think Congress should have better things to do than meddle in professional sports (and if you don't think college football is a professional sport, perhaps you should go back to your fantasy world). But the NCAA, and the BCS, have been running roughshod over people for too long, and somebody has to kick some ass on these crooks. So, go get'em Orrin!

No comments: